Cannabidiol (CBD) is a compound that occurs naturally in the cannabis flower and hemp plants. These plants have a rich history as medicine going back thousands of years. CBD's many therapeutic properties are being tested and confirmed by scientists and doctors worldwide. The study below published by the NCBI and National Institute of Health in 2009, shows Cannabinoids "constitute a potent treatment modality against inflammatory disorders." Cannabinoids also "led to immunosuppression and recovery from immune-mediated injuries to organs such as the liver."
Cannabinoids are the active compounds from Hemp or Cannabis plants.
CBD is safe, non-addictive and does not get you high. There are two plants that produce CBD, the cannabis plant that can also contain THC and the Hemp plant that is non-psychoactive, and again does not get you high. The hemp plant only contains CBD and if you are using the whole plant, that is what Full Spectrum Hemp, or Full Spectrum CBD means. It means you are getting the Full Spectrum of Cannabinoids from that plant.
CBD and THC react differently with different receptors in the brain and body with beneficial functions. And party-strategy note, CBD can actually neutralize the affects of too much THC, or being too high, if needed. Wish we knew that in high school...
CBD interacts with our Endocannabinoid System and our ECS receptors, CB1 and CB2. This system helps us regulate all systems in our body and find balance, or homeostasis. A 2013 NIH published study suggests that modulating ECS activity may have therapeutic potential in almost all diseases affecting humans, including:
- Obesity/metabolic syndrome
- Diabetes and diabetic complications
- Skin diseases
- Psychiatric disorders
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting
- For links to the studies see our article, 15 Fantastic Benefits of CBD + The Studies To Prove It for more information.
The Endocannabinoid receptor, CB1 is found mainly in the brain and central nervous system and CB2 receptors are mostly in the peripheral organs and cells associated with the immune system.
CBD Benefits Include Relief From:
- Chronic Pain
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder • PTSD
And as shown in above National Institute of Health reference links, extensive research over the past few decades shows CBD as a potent treatment for a wide range of disorders and diseases including:
- Autoimmune Diseases - Inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis
- Neurological Conditions- Alzheimer's, dementia, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, Huntington's chorea, stroke, traumatic brain injury
- Metabolic Syndrome- Diabetes, obesity
- Neuropsychiatric Illness- Autism, ADHD, PTSD, alcoholism
- Gut Disorders- Atherosclerosis, arrythmia
- Skin Disease- acne, dermatitis, psoriasis
What To Look For When Choosing CBD Products
The "Green Rush" is on and as wonderful as it is that there is a breakthrough, natural, powerful and effective solution to what ails us, there needs to be some caution taken when choosing your source for CBD products. There are a lot of snake-oil sellers out there so look for the below symbols that show it's tested, non- GMO, safe, effective, organic, and grown in the U.S.A as we have stricter regulations in this country than abroad.